Friday, July 1, 2016

Date Night with a Texas Twist!

TGIF! We've finally made it to the weekend! If you happen to be in Charleston this holiday weekend you have to check out Lewis Barbecue! The buzz around town was the opening of Lewis' new place  this past Monday. John Lewis is a famous pit master (aka amazing guy on the grill) from Austin, Tx! When I heard about the opening I knew I had to do our Austin girl Haley proud and report back on my dining experience!

First off let me start out by saying this place is the real deal! Yes they only have Barbecue and yes you have to wait in a long line in true Texas fashion. Don't let the line turn you away...its covered and screened in and bartenders will come and take your drink order in line from a mobile device and deliver it to you while you study the menu! WIN!!!!
Here's the basic menu written on butcher paper at the door! As you can see the Turkey Breast was already sold out when we got there for date night at 7pm on a Thursday night but don't worry NOTHING and I mean NOTHING at this place is bad. After studying the menu the day before, on my iphone on the way there and in line as I sipped my Anderson Valley Mango Gose beer (which was delicious by the way!) Kris and I settled on the "El Sancho" "Loco" x2 with a side of Buttermilk Potato Salad and Green Chile Corn Puddin'. We had a hard time deciding but "Loco" allowed us to try all three meats (beef, pork, and sausage).
 As I approached the meat counter it was glorious and slightly intimating all at the same time. The butcher paper menu was posted again above the two meat cutters. You walk up to the counter and make your final decision. Looking around at everyone's plates I knew I couldn't go wrong but it was a very tough decision. Seating is limited inside and it was raining outside so getting a seat is key. There are many community tables and picnic tables outside when the weather is nice. I see this place being the busiest restaurant in town when the weather cooperates later this summer. 
 As I walk to the end of the meat counter to pay the time had finally come! Here's our trays of meat in all their glory! Kris and I's order of the El Sanchos with two sides along with another order of Beef Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, and extra end pieces. I'll let you take this in a second if you've never seen food like this in Texas. Its so simple looking but with the complex flavors smoked into the meat no sauce is necessary! This has got to be the most tender and flavorful bbq I've ever eaten!
After stuffing our faces I frolicked around the restaurant to experience all the decor and outdoor seating areas. One thing that we were looking forward to was Chicken Sh@! Bingo! Yes....live chickens on a grid of numbers and letters and you play bingo at the restaurant! I was sad to find out it starts next month but I spoke to one of the meat cutters who said it is being done at many places in Austin and they wanted to bring it to chucktown as well! After our girls trip to Austin and seeing the Turtle races at a bar, I knew I had to find that same fun in my home town. It's quirky and probably not abnormal in "weird" Austin..... but SO DIFFERENT for the conservative southern town of Charleston. I'll end by saying we had a wonderful experience at Lewis! The line was manageable with a beer in hand, atmosphere very modern decor with a western theme, and the friendliest staff you've ever met very passionate about BBQ! Check back next month for my second visit to Lewis with the future in-laws and we will finally get to play Chicken Bingo! CHEERS to you Mr. Lewis! Your new place in Charleston is nothing short of amazing! All Hail the King!


No comments:

Post a Comment