Thursday, July 7, 2016

What's For Dinner?

Mild Enchiladas at our Mexican Fiesta
Chicken Enchilada Ingredients:
  • 1.5- 2.0 lbs chicken
  • 1 small yellow onion chopped
  • 1 bell pepper chopped (I prefer red)
  • 8oz cream cheese
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic (if desired)
  • 1-2 tbsp mexican chili powder (if desired)
  • 1 small jalapeno diced or 1 can of Rotel (if desired) 
  • 15 oz can of Red Enchilada sauce (this can be found near the taco shells at grocery store)
  • 8 small or medium tortillas
  • 2-3 cups of shredded Mexican cheese
  • Sour cream (if desired)
  • Guacamole (if desired)
My chicken enchiladas have always been one of my favorite recipes to whip up and a big hit with my  husband. I recently made these for our Mexican Night at the apartment and everyone loved them! Its relatively easy to make and a recipe that my mom altered and made it kid friendly for me when I was little. 

You will need 1.5lbs- 2lbs of chicken and I have prepared this numerous ways over the years. I have boiled frozen chicken breasts or thighs or cooked the chicken with chicken broth in the crock pot all day on low while I was at work.  Once you have the cooked chicken you will mix with onions, bell pepper and cream cheese. To spice it up a little feel free to add in garlic, Mexican chili powder, diced jalapenos or a can of Rotel. 

My family at the Mexican Fiesta
Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a 13x9 casserole dish and coat with 1/3 can of red enchilada sauce. Warm up tortillas in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to make them more pliable. Hold the tortilla and spoon a tablespoon of sauce and spread over the entire tortilla. Then add a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture. Fold the tortilla like a burrito and place in the pan with the seam on the bottom. Repeat until the pan is full and have approximately 8 enchiladas. 

Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and 2-3 cups of Mexican cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and tortillas look a little crispy. Remove from oven and serve with sour cream, guacamole, and a few tortilla chips. I love using the chips to scoop up anything that fell out of the enchilada.  

After our Mexican event in May I had a lot of extra enchiladas so I froze them in small casserole dishes. Before I left the house for my first day in the office, I pulled them out and placed them in the fridge and when I came home I popped them in the oven. Thirty minutes later we were eating a home cooked meal and drinking a delicious margarita. #MommyWin

Homemade margarita mix with a salted rim
Enjoy and let me know how your enchiladas turn out! 

Cheers, 
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment