Thursday, August 25, 2016

Putting My Foot Down on Pinterest

This past week I had a book study gathering at my friend Lacy's house. We read a book on how to manage your time and recognize where God is calling you to put forth your efforts.

My little sassy redhead is turning 4 and I wanted to ENJOY it and want her to enjoy it. I've done some adorable, detailed parties in my time. I enjoyed them and at the time it was what I wanted to do because it was my first time being a mom or because it was my child's first birthday or baptism celebration. However, I felt I was getting burnt out and felt I was spending all this money to impress guests or putting uncalled for pressure on my party planning skills

About two years ago I decided for the first time we would take my oldest to Great Wolf Lodge for his birthday and then have a small celebration at home. We had the best time as a family and I knew that was the way to go. I always want my child to have a cake every year, though, so the family cookout worked great.
We did that two years in a row and now I was brainstorming for Cecilia. The American Doll store in Charlotte is awesome and it is definitely a big trip when you take your daughter. So, I thought what better time than to grab a few fellow 3 & 4 year old friends and make it a girl's trip and a lunch outing.

In our book club, I brought up about a quote in the book how pinterest has completely ruined birthdays for everyone. I agree!! Some people thrive on every detail and enjoy that. I sometimes do but for the most part, having 3 children, I can't do that every birthday. I don't want to do that. So, I think we have come up with what works best for our family. I want all moms to take the pressure off. I see so many moms post all these lavish teacher gifts, lavish parties, lavish school valentine's. I say STOP! You are putting way too much pressure on yourself and others. When I was little, my mom never had to worry about home made everything. She was a busy working mom and I never felt that I didn't have great items to share.

I fell into this trap my first few years as a mom and felt I needed to have elaborate playdates every week and all these special outings to keep them happy and do what I thought I had to do.

I'm glad I wised up. Brandon's 2nd birthday is in November. I'm not sure what we will do but I'm hoping a fun outing or trip. I was kind of leaning towards Tweetsie Railroad since it is November. Whatever we decide, I know we will have fun celebrating him as a family, making memories.

I still love you Pinterest....don't get me wrong. HA!!!

Xoxo,
Dana "Not like those regular moms, I'm a cool mom"

No comments:

Post a Comment