Friday, August 19, 2016

Disconnect

This past weekend the boyfriend and I went up to the mountains for a long weekend wednesday-sunday and it was AMAZING. Our cabin had no cell phone service or internet that means NO calls, NO texts, Nothing....and it was great! I never realized how nice it is to go "off the grid" and truly relax without the disruptions of social media and others. How many people sit on the couch next to their spouse or lay in bed and you're both on a device "spending time together" but fully engulfed in the article your reading, photos of your friends child, or another cat video on YouTube?

This past weekend in the mountains life seemed simple. I didn't know about flooding in LA or who won gold in the Olympics. My mind was replaying the numerous conversations Kris and I had porch sitting and listening to the river rushing reflecting on life. I thought to myself this is what it was like for our previous generations growing up. They lived in the moment and for the most part minded their P's and Q's. We talked more last weekend than I ever have in my entire life.



I highly suggest unplugging for awhile to anyone as soon as you can. You will not only learn more about your family and friends but yourself as well. You may even discover some new hobbies. I may sound like an old lady or a child but I actually did a puzzle for the first time and ages and it was therapeutic to have no concept of time and tackle my task ahead. Kris went trout fishing many times in our river close by to try and catch us some dinner but they were all very small. This is one instance I am glad we are living in modern time so we could eat store bought groceries for dinner or we would have been REAL hungry haha.



Throughout the weekend we also enjoyed visiting the Symmes Chapel- Pretty Place outside of greenville, went on a little hike, and kayaked Lake Jocassee and Lake Keeowee. Without the distractions of life I feel that I truly got to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and the clarity of the lake, I'd never seen a lake so clear in my life!



I challenge everyone who is ironically reading this blog post, on a computer, disconnected from the humans around them to take a weekend asap and DISCONNECT! You can thank me later :)



No comments:

Post a Comment