Monday, January 30, 2017

Sweet & Spicy!

Happy Monday! Cooking has become a real love of mine. When we lived in Greer, it was hit or miss for me. Now, that we live in Texas, and have an even smaller kitchen, I find myself pinning lots of new recipes to try. B loves it. I already told him, next house = double ovens. I love being in the kitchen even if I am the MESSIEST cook/baker. It also helps that B handles dishes. Even in our small kitchen, you have to be cooking & washing at the same time or you will not have any space. So shout out to B for washing all the dishes...you the real MVP.

I wanted to share this awesome recipe that B & I tried out on Friday. It is super delicious and healthy all at the same time! This recipe is technically for the grill, but since we live in an apartment and sold our Big Green Egg, we use the oven 100% of the time. And for all my fellow grillers, don't worry...the Egg is the first item to be purchased once we move back home. We are dying without it!! I don't think we could ever go back to a gas grill. A story for another day!

I did not take pictures of this myself because we were HANGRY. Enjoy the beautifully photographed Pinterest picture.


I baked this on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. I did toss them around half way through. At the end of 20 minutes, I broiled on high for 2 minutes just for a little extra crisp. If you have a grill, by all means, GRILL THEM.

Ingredients
1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into approx 1in pieces)
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (Just realized I used chicken breasts because it was what I had in the freezer. Still was wonderful!)
1 medium sweet onion cut into 1in chunks and seperated.
EVOO
12in Bamboo Skewers (if you're grilling)

Spice Mix + Glaze
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
6 TBSP honey
2 tsp cider vinegar

Instructions

1. Place potatoes into a pot and add enough water just to cover them. Bring potatoes and water to a boil over medium heat & cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. I let them sit in the colander while I worked on the rest.

2. Prepare the spice mix & the glaze. Mix together in a small bowl your garlic salt, chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika & crushed red pepper. In a separate bowl, combine your honey & cider vinegar. Set aside.

3. Add your cut chicken to a medium bowl and drizzle with EVOO lightly. Toss with HALF of the spice rub. Repeat the process with the sweet potato and onion chunks.

4. If you're grilling, thread your chicken, sweet potato, & onion on your soaked skewers. Be sure to alternate your items.

5. Preheat your grill on medium high (or your oven to 375), and grill for 8 minutes (or bake for 20 minutes) turning frequently. Baste with your honey glaze while grilling.

Note: Since I baked mine in the oven, before I put them in, I added a little bit of the glaze to the pan, mixed well and then baked. When it was done cooking, I added the remaining glaze and mixed well.

6. Serve & enjoy immediately!

If you think this will be too spicy for you, you can always do less chili powder or leave out the crushed red pepper. We love spice in our house so this was an all around winner!

This made enough for seconds for each of us + one large serving for leftovers. This is a great tasty meal & one that will be added into rotation as we like to call it in our house.

This recipe was adapted from Little Broken.

Bon Appétit!

xoxo,
Haley



No comments:

Post a Comment