Monday, January 2, 2017

Getting Back on Track




If you're like everyone else out there, we are all trying to start the new year off right eating healthy and exercising. We will see how long it lasts in our house :) Nick did drag me out yesterday for a 3 mile run and I'm already feeling it. Its a start though. 

Eating healthy definitely requires some work. I'm not going to pretend its easy. But its worth it. You feel better and there is no better feeling than fitting into your skinny jeans. Nick and I like to follow the Whole30 diet (as a general guideline). We don't do everything in that diet but I believe cutting out dairy and unnecessary chemicals is key to becoming the best you. If you can't pronounce the ingredient, you probably shouldn't be eating it. Stick to that and you will be on your way to healthy. I've complied tons of recipes that are Whole30 approved here on my Pinterest board. 

Here are a couple of things I do on a weekly basis to stay on track:

1. Meal Planning
Every week after the kids have gone to bed or during nap time, I will sit down with a piece of paper and write out the days of the week and start filling in what I'm going to make each day. I use Pinterest for most of my recipes. I also use the Skinnytaste cookbook for a lot (minus the dairy). 


2. Online Grocery Shopping
If you're not grocery shopping online, you're seriously missing out! I use both Walmart online grocery and Harris Teeter here in Charleston. Walmart online grocery is free and is great for staple products like paper towels, toilet paper, cereals, etc. I use Harris Teeter to get our produce. 

3. Snack Prep
If there is one thing that drags me off course is when I get hungry and grab the kids snacks. Its so hard to not eat their food. I've even gone so far as to put all their food on one shelf and thats the NO NO shelf. hahaha But seriously, grab some zip lock bags and cut up carrots, celery, cucumbers, & sugar snap peas to have on hand. If you're a dip person, check out this amazing Ranch dip from the Whole30 diet. You will wonder why you ever ate the full fat stuff in the first place. 

These are just a few things that help keep us on track. I am in no means a health expert and absolutely have my ups and downs. We don't follow this diet to a T and when I'm craving a burger I let myself have it. You have to live a little! 

Since its in the mid 70s today here in Charleston I thought I'd leave you with one of my favorite Gazpacho recipes for warmer weather. This recipe is from The South Beach Diet and its so delicious you will seriously be craving it no matter if its warm or cold outside. Enjoy!




xoxo,
Rachel 

1 comment: