Friday, October 21, 2016

Evacuation Vacation and an Engagement

As many of you know hurricane Matthew affected much of the south east two weekends ago and many were forced to evacuate from their homes including myself. I'm not going to pretend to be brave or think I could stop the storm damage by riding it out so Kris and I decided to make the most of our departure with an Airbnb in the mountains. As we were packing to leave I remember saying make sure you get everything important ;) knowing he would have to pack the previously designed and purchased engagement ring but I DID NOT expect for it to happen that weekend with everything going on. It all started with me being sick and very stressed about work so Friday when we hit the road for Robbinsville NC near Bryson City I was ready to get away from the news coverage of the storm and relax some! We had friends meeting us up there who got there before us with their two pups so with four people and three dogs we had a house full! We found the cutest cabin with a view that was hard to beat!




We arrived with chili ready on the stove, wine and card games ready followed by enjoying the hot tub on the deck! Needless to say I almost felt guilty having fun while the pending storm was approaching! Our weekend rule was no one could look up what the weather was doing while we were up there plus we had no TV and limited service anyways! After a relaxing night I had no idea it would be a night I'd not forget! The other couple went to bed and Kris and I were enjoying talking on the couch in front of the fireplace. He was recalling many of our mountain trips and how special they were to him and I! He gets up off the couch and in the process spills a LARGE glass of red wine on the cabin's rug. Being nervous he didn't notice on his way to the bedroom to get the ring. In the meantime I'm running to get the resolve carpet cleaner and am dabbing the huge spot on the floor and all I could think about was our security deposit and how bad red wine can stain! spray, blott, spray, blott....
Here he comes back out still talking not noticing I'm on hands and knees cleaning and at that point it's too late! He whips out the ring and omg did it sparkle even in the dark! And my first response was "Oh my god! Really?!? Right now?!?" His response was "what are you doing down here and yes right now!" Once I realize what's going on I forgot about the stain and as he's about to put the ring on my finger our friend in the other room walks out right in the middle of our moment! Once again I could only say "REALLY?!" Ha! I did say yes of course and cannot believe i was in such shock and the hilarious timing of it all that I'm embarrassed to admit that was my first response!



We laughed and cried in front of the fireplace all night and it's one story I will never forget! I later found out he had the ring in his pocket the whole drive up there! He had planned on pulling off at the Fontana Dam to propose but of course weather and traffic had other plans for us. We were very flustered and ready to get out of the car so he scratched that idea. Its funny hearing about it now how he couldn't hide the ring box in his pants pocket so he took the ring out and put it in the gas station receipt! OMG Thank god that didn't get thrown out ha! Sorry for the ring overload! I've waited almost 31 years for this man and this day so just going to soak it up a little more :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE....is it really mine? Question...does anyone wear theirs all the time? when do you take it off...sleeping...cleaning? etc. HELP i'm new! Also what about working out? I've seen those qualo rings and am for sure getting Kris one but what about my ladies?

There he is my fishing fiance! trying to forget a hurricane was coming to pour down on our home.

Of course we needed a pic of the future ring bearer ;)

Kris and I recently went to our friends wedding on King at the William Aiken House and thank goodness the hurricane spared their venue. Had to get a pic of all my matchy matchy rose gold! I had no idea i'd love it so much! When Kris first asked me early on in the design process what I thought about rose gold I was open to the idea of something different and I am so happy with the direction he took it from there. 

So now starts the fun of wedding planning! And I'm happy to say we came home to only minor damages to the yard and our home was safe. Hurricane Matthew and the evacuation vacation is one I will never forget.

3 comments:

  1. Oh this made me laugh!!! I loved reading it over again. As far as taking it off, I take mine off at night and when I work out. Some people never take theirs off but I don't like to sleep with jewelry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend gave me a small heart shaped ring holder that i've been using and never realized I would use it so much! Its been helpful keeping my ring in the same spot when i'm not wearing it but lifting weights with it on is not an option! i'm getting used to sleeping with it I think ;) I just don't want to take it off yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love the story and all of the details!! Can't wait to see you and the ring in person! I only my ring off to shower and blow dry my hair because my hair gets caught on the prongs.

    ReplyDelete