Monday, October 24, 2016

Austin: One Year Real Talk

Today marks one year that I packed up, scanned my one-way ticket, and moved to Austin to be with my husband on this new adventure in his career. It has been a roller coaster for sure. I feel like everyone (a lot of the time) tries to portray their perfect life. And y'all, I will be the first to compare myself to others.
Comparison is the thief of joy.  -Theodore Roosevelt
"They have their families close."
"They haven't ever had to move."
"Look, they are all getting together to hang out. We're missing out."
"Ugh, they get to experience this cooler weather and it's still flipping 90 degrees here!!"

With moving away from your family & friends, I have found myself bitter & sad sometimes. REAL TALK folks. I am NOT sugar coating it. I have felt bitter that I have had to even move. I have felt bitter that in order to see my family or friends, I have to pay $500 or more just to fly home. By the way...that's only one ticket. Brian and I are always traveling together if we are headed back East so you do the math. I have cried BIG alligator tears when my friends/family had to leave after their visit because the apartment was too quiet. Or when I was leaving them. When your momma cries in front of you because you have to fly back to Texas...oh man. Gosh, I have a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

However, through this first year we have gotten a lot stronger (mentally, emotionally, & physically). I am so thankful for a job that took a chance on me to work from home. I NEVER had to worry about finding a job in the midst of an emotional move. My husband is gaining valuable experience through his job that will set us up so well for the future. We have met AWESOME neighbors who honestly I believe would give us the shirt off their back if we needed it. And their boys...they have been such a light for me and make us laugh when we can't see our friends' babies as much as we'd like. (And yes, Dana, Rachel, Lauren and Kath, no matter their age...they are babies to me.)

And Austin (despite the traffic) isn't all that bad. They have GREAT barbeque. I have learned to LOVE breakfast tacos. Their Tex Mex is the real deal. When you buy something in the grocery store and it says spicy....it IS spicy. Oh and the grocery stores....if you want to make a Mexican dish, you can guarantee that your grocery store has what ever random Mexican ingredient that you need. Oh, and I got to go and see the Silos in Waco which I for sure never would have done if we weren't living here. And most importantly, this little space of the web that we call The Dainty Details, would not have been born.

All in all, at the end of the day, I am thankful. Not everything is easy. Not everything is rainbows and flowers & that goes for anything. For those that get a chance to do something like this, I would say do it. That doesn't mean that I don't want to come back East...I do. It has totally grown Brian and I in our relationship. It has gotten us out of being "comfortable." It has challenged us. It has made us look forward to visits here with family/friends or going back East when we otherwise would have taken it for granted. It is truly a treat. But when we do move back, I will miss parts of Austin/Texas living.

#TexasForever



xoxo,
Haley

1 comment:

  1. We miss y'all over here but it just gives us more of a reason to travel! And you are right nothing is rainbows and butterfly's no matter what people portray. Even being in the same city or state with family and friends I feel like everyone lives such busy lives that we all don't get together as much as I wish we could! Don't worry I'll give us some reasons soon to all get together ;) I'm coming again to get some manmosas at bangers before I die lol!

    ReplyDelete