Sunday, October 23, 2016

Commitment: Mrs. SC Reflection & A Special Day




Can I just start by saying this song was playing while I pranced across a stage in a tiny bikini after having 3 kids in front of a sold out audience! Yep...I kind of want to dance when I hear it! LOL That took balls with all those lights! I will never forget that OMG!
This morning I knew I wanted to write my weekly blog because last week I got over 400 views so I felt I had a few readers out there in the world!

At church one of the words I heard this morning that caught my attention was "commitment."

I was at work yesterday when someone I did not know asked me "how was the Mrs. South Carolina Pageant?" In my mind I wondered how did you know I did this. What started out as just my innocent little adventure turned out to be a well publicized thing in the paper, tv and radio. I honestly was the last person to jump on board in this and I literally went in blind and just did it for FUN. I have been asked about it constantly. I didn't have much time to think about that whirlwind until this past week.

This week I really analyzed it and tried to make sense of me not winning (besides swimsuit and evening gown). I never put that pressure on myself but felt it from others. I had a friend from church (who was at the pageant supporting me) said she sent the photo of all us girls to her friend who LOVES pageants and she pointed me out that I had it in the bag. She had no idea that I was the one she was there watching. Even my hair dresser's husband was in complete shock when I didn't win that he said that's ridiculous...we are leaving. HA! Made me feel better lol.

But I think it is because like them, I'm new to this. I see what I think is good and on stage but being kind of new to this I didn't realize the importance of your platform and job as Mrs. SC. Not that I wouldn't have taken it seriously but that my platform is more of a local one instead of a country wide platform as you are going on to Mrs. America. So, commitment. That word! The winner has been involved in MANY pageants and her platform is much larger. Others have raised over $10,000 for their charities. The winner in NC was in People Magazine a week before the pageant and is a public figure (literally her facebook is a public figure one!). I think I do great things for the community and I LOVE my platform but I think in interview my newness hurt me. Even one lady on stage said she saved up enough funds to have a nanny for the year to do her job as Mrs. SC (I get sad if I don't see my kids just one day!! ha)

My friends were in shock and said what happened in interview? Like come on Dana...what did you say!? HA HA! Well it went fine and no worries there but I think when they asked, what do you do with the boys and girls club and what do you plan to do after you win was a big obstacle. I love reading and doing fun crafts with children (It was my favorite thing about teaching!!) so that is what I do. Now I can travel throughout the state and continue that at other chapters of the BGC but I think it wasn't LARGE enough for what they wanted.

I'm so glad I did it but I think I just had to reflect on this and that I'm really happy with it all. Mrs. NC from last year asked me if she could please help me to snag this next year. I just said no thank you...I'm a mom of 3. (She doesn't yet have any children). I just think COMMITMENT. It isn't something I can honestly commit that I'm determined to "win." I still serve my community, I still go to the B&GC, I still love working out and inspiring my children. I just don't think I need to invest all that time, money, and effort for a chance at something that really doesn't define anything.

So, my very long answer to this constant question!

Another special day in my life....one of the most DEFINING days in my life.....November 12, 2001!
On that day, Patrick messaged me on good ole Instant Messenger on the big back computer. He and I had world history class together at the humble age of 14 and he was always staring at me. It is all he did...he still kind of does that...LOL! We started dating and here we are..15 years later. COMMITMENT! This year is special because we have been together over half our lives this year. That date will always be our date even though now our wedding anniversary is celebrated and we will be married 7 years in January!

Patrick loves telling the story of Brandon's birth. Brandon's birthday is November 12 and he will be 2 next month. (Don't even ask me about a party...I'm legit thinking we will order pizza, a cake and take this plane obsessed kid to the airport!)

Patrick thinks it is amazing how we completed our family on this date. Brandon was born two weeks early due to an infection and was a NICU baby and had the feeding tubes and all. It was not fun and very hard leaving my baby at the hospital to come home but God had a plan. It was so strange how I never felt scared or worried. My faith was so strong and I think partly due to him being born on November 12th and he was given my brother's name who passed away at age 14.

Commitment. It is hard and we have to each individually decide what we commit our time to doing in this life. I was committed to Patrick because I always knew where I stood with him and I knew his heart. He still tells me one day I will wake up and realize I could have done so much better than him. Crazy man!

So, I think we definitely have to reflect on where our time is spent and what are you truly committed to because that is where your passion and your priorities lie day to day.

Sorry this is so long! I'm waiting on my cupcakes to bake.

Have a great week!

xoxo,
Dana

2 comments: