Sunday, September 4, 2016

Journey to Mrs. SC


I realized that I really haven't shared much at all about my current title of Mrs. Rock Hill-SC or the journey to the Mrs. South Carolina Pageant at the end of September. It is so close and I'm very excited/nervous but confidence is key and it isn’t about a crown…it is about my life journey!

My happiest moment so far has been going to visit the children at the Boys and Girl's Club and a lesson that was aired on our little, local television station. I read one of my favorite children's books that I use to read to my classes as a teacher. I will visit them again in about two weeks with another lesson I've been planning for them that I hope will teach some valuable lessons on displaying good character. I was in contact with the author of the next book I will share and as he agreed, we need a lesson on looking for similarities with others instead of highlighting differences in our society right now. He also was extremely kind to me and offered these words of wisdom. “As far as the pageant goes- the way I see it, you already won! Getting past the doubts and going for it is the stuff that makes champions. The results are just icing on the cake.”



I have had a few photo shoots and that is probably my least favorite part. I really want to make sure I submit the right head shot that looks JUST like me and is also something that I feel shows my personality. Here are a few that I have submitted for Mrs. Photogenic and on ad pages.

 I've seen many pageant photos where girls just don't even look like themselves. I don't want these judges to say who is the girl in the book because that's not who I just interviewed, ha ha.

I am new to this whole world and it is a whole other world. It is a fabulous world that does teach you a lot about yourself and about your true beliefs. It makes you dig deep to represent yourself and to be a good role model to those around you. I've had to seek out sponsors and I've had to do that in other organizations I've been involved with in the past so it wasn't foreign to me but always different.

I LOVE a local cookie/bakery we have in Rock Hill called Hey Sugar Shop. Mary Kate is the owner and makes goodies for my kids' teachers and we just love everything she makes and sells. She created two photo cookies of me and we had a girl's night this past week to promote my cookies. It is not just the donation but the fun of it all.  Cecilia has been very curious about it all and what I'm doing all the time. I definitely plan to share this whole journey with her more when she is older and regardless of what she pursues in her future, she needs to remember that you should always challenge yourself and do things outside of your comfort zone. I see some scrapbooking happening in October.













It is interesting the contacts I've made throughout the past few months. I'm ready for the big weekend to meet the rest of the ladies. I've already made a great friend in one of the contestants from NC and she plans to join me in my next mission! But first lets get to this big weekend and hope I don't fall on stage!!! HA!

xoxo,

Dana




No comments:

Post a Comment